Tuesday, January 25, 2011

October 14, 2010

               After the German course ended, we all went out in the city center to celebrate having spent 150 hours together over the past six weeks.   We spoke what little German we could with each other, but mostly we hung out as friends.  By that time, our cultural differences were almost unnoticeable. 
                That night I met someone who has turned out to be very important in my life here.  His name is Jaakko, and he’s from Finland.  We met on the dance floor at “7Grad”, the club I was at that evening with my classmates.  Between the loud music and his thick accent, I thought his name was Jacob and he was German.  That’s how good I am at distinguishing foreigners.  Once again, thank you Facebook!  I “found” him while looking at my friend Tuukka’s photos a few days later, and we hit it off.
I’ve learned the most about Finnish culture since I’ve met him.  He told me how it is customary in Finland to take your shoes off at the door.  I know that many countries share this custom, but since it is not like that in all homes in the US, including mine, it’s different for me.  He has also told me that Finns aren’t warm people right off the bat; somewhat similar to Germans.  I have definitely detected it now that it has been pointed out to me.  There are quite a few Finns here, and only a few have “welcomed” my presence.  Jaakko’s roommate had some friends visiting one night.  Jaakko and I were out shopping when she called and asked whether or not we were both coming for dinner.  She didn’t actually invite me; she just asked him whether or not I was coming.  I was so shocked when he told me that.  I still don’t know that she actually wanted me there.  I think she just wanted to show her friends who I was, because none of them talked to me while we ate.  It was the weirdest thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment