Tuesday, January 25, 2011

American Holidays in Germany

               Since a lot of our new friends had never before experienced the traditional “Halloween” and “Thanksgiving”, we decided to celebrate properly.  My friend Leigh from Australia and his flat mates threw us a Halloween party.  Since it was the German Independence Day on Monday, November 1 and we had no classes that day, we partied on Halloween night.  Everyone dressed up (most went with a scary theme) and got together in their kitchen.  I went as a zombie bride.  My inspiration came from Kate, who had been rummaging through the things left behind in her storage unit.  She found a nightstand, and there was an old lace curtain inside it.  It was the most hideous thing; have you ever heard of fringe on lace?  It was also accompanied by two lace placemats.  They were colored!  The pattern was of a park with green trees and a brown bench.  So I turned one upside down and used it as my veil, I bought cheap white curtains at Ikea for my dress, and I cut the fringe off the lace curtain and used it as my train.  Too bad I wasn’t the only zombie bride at the party.  Magdalena’s face was whiter, but my dress was dirtier.
At midnight, Leigh led us to the forest behind campus and we had a giant bonfire.   
 
It was a great adaptation of the way we celebrate at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment